Episcopal Diocese of Virginia
The Episcopal Church »  |  The Diocese of Virginia

Our History

The story of Abingdon Church marches in step with the history of our country. Records indicate that Abingdon Parish was established circa 1650. Its name is derived from the home of the colonists who emigrated from Abingdon, England.
Our current church isn't the first building used by the Abingdon congregation. The first church was a wooden building probably located near the York or Severn River. In 1655, the parish completed construction of its first brick church on land donated by Col. Augustine Warner, the maternal grandfather of George Washington. The foundations of this church can still be found inside the south wall of the church grounds.

Currently, Abingdon's property covers 143 acres facing onto U.S. 17 in historic Gloucester County, midway between the courthouse and Gloucester Point, and includes two buildings plus a walled cemetery. Adorning our church grounds are many testaments of our praise to God. Included in these are an area for prayerful respite, numerous beautiful flower beds, and many trees planted by members of our congregation. To the north, you will find a labyrinth and, further on, a meditation garden. We encourage you to walk through our grounds. They are especially beautiful in the spring when the daffodils are in bloom.

 

GOD’S HOME, AND OURS THROUGH FIVE CENTURIES

17th Century
 Abingdon Parish established
 George Washington’s ancestors donated land to the parish
 First brick church built

18th Century
 Present church completed in 1755
 John Page became a member of the first General Convention of the Episcopal Church

19th Century
 Reredos added
 Church occupied and used as a stable by Federal troops during the Civil War
 Church records destroyed in fires at the courthouse in Richmond and later at  Rosewell

20th Century
 Abingdon property holdings substantially enlarged
 Burwell and Page tombs moved to the cemetery
 Abingdon Church placed on the National Register of Historic Places
 Church restored to Colonial specifications
 Parish Hall built

21st Century
 Children’s and music programs expanded
 Our 46th rector, Rev. Sven L. vanBaars